THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO BEARD BUTTER
Beard butter has become a popular grooming product for men in recent years. It's a great way to keep your beard maintained, moisturized, healthy, and looking great. But what is beard butter, and what does it do?
In this article, we'll answer any questions you have about beard butter and provide you with everything you need to know about it. If you require an excellent alternative to keep your beard looking its best, keep reading to learn more about this amazing product.
So What Is Beard Butter?Beard butter is a leave-in conditioner you apply to your beard to moisturize and style it. It usually has a creamy consistency. Beard butter is typically made with natural ingredients, such as shea butter, cocoa butter, carrier oils, and essential oils. These ingredients work together to soften the beard hair, minimize itchiness, promote hair growth, and give your beard a healthy shine.
How is beard butter different from other beard products? (balm, wax, or beard oil)
Beard oils are liquid conditioners you can use to moisturize and soften your beard.
Beard oil works well to keep your beard healthy and shiny, but it doesn't do much for styling purposes.
Beard wax is primarily used for styling, and it helps shape and holds your beard in place.
Waxes are thicker and do not have the same conditioning properties as beard oil, butter, or balms.
Beard balm is the only one similar to beard butter in that it conditions and styles your beard, but beard balm contains beeswax and the consistency is thicker than that of beard butter.
Beard butter typically doesn't contain any beeswax, so it's creamier, melts quickly, spreads easily through your beard, and absorbs rapidly.
The most significant difference between beard butter and all the other beard products is that beard butter is easier to manage (than waxes and balms), and it can be used as both a conditioner and a styling product.
There aren't many other beard products that can serve both purposes.
What Ingredients are in Beard Butter to make it such a great product?
- Mango butter conditions your skin, makes it smooth, supple and improves its overall health and appearance. It also strengthens the skin’s natural protective barrier, which helps your skin retain moisture, prevents damages, and drying out.
- Shea Butter is renowned for having anti-aging and anti-inflammatory properties, may be related to promoting collagen production or decreasing the breakdown of collagen that’s already present.
- Cocoa butter contains many fatty acids, which is why it’s often touted for its ability to hydrate and nourish the skin and improve elasticity. The fat in cocoa butter forms a protective barrier over skin to hold in moisture.
- Jojoba Oil has anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties which help to reduce chapping or chaffing and eases the effects of eczema and rosacea, while keeping the skin calm and comfortable. The vitamins in Jojoba oil help in skin repair and protects against damage from the weather and elements.
- Argan Oil is traditionally referred to as “liquid gold” because it is packed with vitamins A, E and C, antioxidants and omega-6 fatty acids that are essential for healthy skin and hair and are used to protect against environmental damage and premature aging.
- Grapeseed Oil improves your skin's moisture, softness. It also helps the vitamin E and C in your skin to be more effective at preserving your skin. Some people also use Grapeseed oil to treat acne outbreaks by attacking bacteria that can get deep into your pores that cause breakouts.
- Vitamin E Oil has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties and is used quite often in anti-aging cremes and serums.
Why do some beard butters get grainy while others do not?
If you've been using beard butter for a while, you may have noticed that sometimes it doesn't feel as silky smooth as it used to. This is because the product can become grainy over time, and you may even notice some small "dots" of a different color in your beard butter. The butters in our beard butter, such as Shea, Mango, and Cocoa are of high quality. These high-quality butters all have a bunch of different long-chain fatty acids in them with different melting points. Because these fatty acids have various melting points, if the butter melts and doesn't cool quickly enough, the different rates at which these solidify can cause crystals to form (or grainy/gritty texture). This does happen from time to time in transit, especially in the warm summer months. We refine all of our butters on-site and flash freeze them in commercial freezers to help mitigate this issue.
Does this affect the quality or usability of my beard butter?
No! Your beard butter is just as effective as when it's all the same consistency and still contains all of the conditioning properties for which you purchased it.
How do I fix my butter if it heats up and melts during transit?
You can reduce or eliminate the graininess by reheating the butter until it melts completely (about 180 degrees Fahrenheit) and holding it at that temperature for approximately 15 minutes. You can use a double boiler or Pyrex in a water bath to maintain temperature, or when necessary use a hairdryer. Next, carefully place it directly in the freezer until solidified. By cooling the beard butter in this fast manner, all of the long-chain fatty acids can cool at the same rate, which should eliminate the graininess. Store your beard butter in a cool place and never leave it in your car in warm weather. Be sure not to overheat the butter though as you may flash off the essential oils in the blend.
What Is The Purpose of Beard Butter?The primary purpose of beard butter is to moisturize, soften and condition your beard. It does this by providing the hair with nutrients and hydration similar to your natural oils, which in essence helps promote beard growth. Beard butter can also help tame wild beard hairs, minimize beard itchiness and give your beard a much healthier look and feel. The combination of these things means less upkeep, plus you'll get a healthier and longer beard which is excellent news for anyone prone to split ends and hair loss.
How often should you use beard butter?
We recommend using beard butter at least once a day depending on the environment in which you live and work. If you live and/or work in harsh, dry, or hot environments, your beard needs more moisture throughout the day, so don't hesitate to apply more as needed. Ideally, in normal environments applying beard butter 1-2 times daily as part of your regular grooming routine should be enough to style your beard and keep it moisturized.
It is worth noting that beard butter isn't a substitute for premium beard oil.
You should still use good-quality beard oils in conjunction with beard butter to keep your facial hair healthy and hydrated along with the skin underneath. Beard oil and Butter work in tandem to enhance the benefits of each other and will dramatically affect the healthiness of your facial hair.
How much beard butter should I use?
A little bit of beard butter goes a long way. We recommend starting with a dime-sized amount and increasing it as needed. In some instances, too much beard butter can make your beard look greasy, so it's best to use just enough to condition and tame your facial hair without making it appear oily.
Benefits Of Using Beard ButterBeard butter has some incredible benefits not just for your beard but also for your skin. The following are just some of the reasons why you should be using beard butter daily:
- Beard Butter moisturizes and softens your beard hair: This is one of the main benefits of beard butter. It's a great way to keep your facial hair hydrated and soft. With the makeup of mostly natural butters and acting as a leave-in conditioner, Beard butter is amazing for conditioning your facial hair and skin. Its ability to soften and strengthen your beard is leagues above beard oil and beard balm alone. When used as part of your daily routine beard butter also helps to eliminate split ends, which kills the growth of your facial hair.
- It minimizes beard dandruff: Beard dandruff is a common problem many men face. Fortunately, beard butter can help eliminate this problem by moisturizing the skin beneath your beard. Almost from the first application, you will notice a huge difference in the amount of beard dandruff that you experience. In almost all cases with repeated use, dandruff in your facial hair will be eliminated altogether.
- Beard Butter promotes healthy hair growth: The nutrients in beard butter can help to promote healthy hair growth. If you want a thicker, fuller beard, it is definitely worth the cost. The different ratios of butters and carrier oils in beard butter are designed to emulate the skin's natural oil production almost exactly, resulting in a product that absorbs readily by the skin and hair follicles, providing all the nutrients needed for hair production in the body.
- Beard Butter Soothes skin and helps alleviate skin irritation: Beard butter can also help soothe any irritation or itchiness that you may be experiencing. That's because it's packed with nutrients and antioxidants that can calm and nourish the skin and protect your beard.
- It tames flyaway hairs: If you have a problem with flyaway facial hair, beard butter can help tame those unruly hairs. By acting as a deep conditioner beard butter relaxes unruly facial hair resulting in a beard that appears much more well-kept.
- It gives your beard a healthy shine: Beard butter contains natural oils that will give your facial hair a healthy shine without appearing greasy or oily. It's an excellent way to make your beard look impressive and more manageable.
- Beard Butter is easy to use: One of the best things about beard butter is it's almost effortless to use and you only need a small amount to get the job done. Beard butter makes taking care of your facial hair super easy!
- It's versatile: Beard butter can work well as both a conditioner and a styling product. It's a great alternative for anyone who wants to simplify their beard care routine.
Does beard butter help beard growth?
Yes, it does but don't think of it as a miracle product. What makes beard butter great is its nutrients, which may encourage faster and thicker growth. The combination of hydration and nourishment is the foundation for any healthy beard. So using it regularly could give you an edge as it promotes healthy beard growth and cuts down on early breakage of the hair shafts.
How Do I Use Beard Butter?Here are some simple instructions but as with any care routine, what works for some may not for others. Feel free to use your own tried and true methods.
- Start with a clean, towel-dried beard: You need to start with a clean beard so that the butter can adequately penetrate the hair shaft. We recommend washing your beard with a good-quality shampoo and conditioner that is specifically designed for facial hair before applying the butter. It's also worth noting that we recommend using beard butter on a towel-dried, slightly damp beard after a nice warm shower. Why you ask? Because at this point your pores are open and relaxed, making it easier for the beard butter to absorb even more quickly into the hair follicles.
- Scoop out a small amount of beard butter: A little goes a long way with this product, so start with a small amount. Unless you have a long beard already, we suggest starting with a dime size dollop of butter. You can always add more if needed.
- Rub it between your hands: Rub the butter between your palms until it is completely melted in your hands. By doing so, you are putting the butter in its most natural state to be readily absorbed by your skin and facial hair.
- Apply the butter evenly throughout your beard: Once the beard butter is melted, use your fingers to massage it evenly into your facial hair, working from the skin and roots of your facial hair to the tips of your hair. Be sure to pay special attention to the ends of your beard, as it tends to be the driest and is where the most damage occurs.
- Style your beard as usual: Once you've applied the butter, you can style your beard as you normally would. We recommend using a good-quality beard brush or comb to distribute the butter evenly, and if desired, use a hair dryer on its LOWEST heat setting to avoid heat damage.
Final ThoughtsMad Viking Beard butter is an incredible product that offers many benefits for both your beard and your skin. Its made for anyone with short stubble up to long beards with a year or more of beard growth.
If you want a softer, more manageable beard, it is something we recommend adding to your grooming routine. Our Beard Butter is made right here in the USA and packed with natural ingredients that are designed to give you all of the benefits we discussed above.
Plus we have a wide variety of scent and fragrance profiles to select from (16 to be exact), that smells great! Let us know in the comments about your routine, and how beard butter has helped your beard be the best that it can be!
Order yours today and do not hesitate to reach out if you have any comments or questions.
Very good info.
Leave a comment